Sunday, April 16, 2006

Firsts for the Season

Today I experienced the first mosquito of the season -- actually the first three or four! Certainly not my favorite part of spring but I suppose we can't have one without the other. I planted asparagus and a bleeding heart today, both gifts from a dear friend. I planted potatoes and carrots a week or two ago. My timing may not be good but at least I got the things in the ground. Sometimes I get so lost in thought about gardening that I forget to actually go out and plant things. I planted some wild flowers, Granpa Ott's morning glories and have plans for marigolds.

The hibiscus is coming back from last year. I thought perhaps I had lost it to the drought. I did lose some lavendar, the fennel, the strawberries (they were about spent, though), several rose bushes (I have got to stop planting tea roses in central Oklahoma!) and a plum tree I didn't pay enough attention to. -- By the way, I am not going to worry about grammar on this thing. --

Anyway, It was hot today for April 16th -- 91 degrees -- and still no rain. We are over three inches low already for the year and normal by now is only about seven inches so we've had half as much rain as normal. That is after last year's problems. Guess we'll have to hunker down and conserve and keep the hearty plants going and let the others go.

I have cut back on my driving in the past few months but that's a whole 'nother post so here ends the day's recorded history.

No comments: