Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Hummingbird

Today I saw the first hummer of the season. It came to the feeder I had put out quite a few days ago. I heard the sound and opened the curtain. Sure enough, that's what it was! Hummingbirds are magnificent! The feeder had been over run by ants, though, and I don't think the bird liked the food. I cleaned it out and made new sugar water and put vaseline on the hanger. I read that might keep the ants out. I didn't have an ant problem last year so hope they find something else to eat. How do they find the sugar water hangin in the air on a small wire? That's amazing.

4 comments:

oklahoma exile said...

Thanks for the tip! The vaseline is not working very well. I did see a hummer twice today -- or maybe I saw 2 different hummers. I love them!!

oklahoma exile said...

I don't remember deleting a comment. Wonder what it was.

oklahoma exile said...

Ahhhh. It does say "removed by the author." That would be you.

oklahoma exile said...

Just an update on the vaseline to keep the ants out of the hummingbird feeder. Ultimately, it worked! The ants quit climbing on it after a few days.