Wednesday, April 26, 2006

a hummer and a porch

I watched a hummingbird fly from flower to flower, tasting the nectar, then taking a few sips out of the feeder and then flying off around the house. Lovely!

I set the strings today for my 8x16 porch. I think that's big enough. I'm taking the 4x6s back and getting 4x4s. My neighbor is coming over in the morning to help me with the plan. Hopefuly, I can set the posts in the afternoon.

There's an 80 to 100% chance of rain on Friday. That'll be nice. It's not very green for it to be springtime. This morning was in the 40s and very chilly. It warmed up into the 60s in the afternoon and is chilly again tonight. I like it but it certainly does stay cold in the house a long time. It's not quite cold enough to light the wood stove or to stay in bed all covered up. But it almost is. I put the flannel sheets on today and the blankets and the comforter. I'm going to tuck in and read American Democracy, about the politics of oil, the religious right and the national debt and how our country is going down the tubes as countries will. Fascinating.

1 comment:

oklahoma exile said...

The part I'm on right now is a synopsis of the development of big oil, its entrenchment into our lives and the political institutionalization of it all. I can't wait to get to the religious part of it.

Thanks for your comments on the porch building. Your 8x8x16 remarks make me know that this is gonna be one great porch! When it's done, you can come over and we'll drink coffee on it. And watch humingbirds!